1. You can decide to take care of the bill of registering one or more widows to acquire a skill like knitting, sewing, hair dressing, baking decoration etc. this is particularly good for the younger widows and will usually last between one year and two years. The moment she acquires this skill, she is empowered to cater for her children. There was a case of a widows who borrowed the sum of twenty thousand naira (20,000.00) and registered the daughter to learn how to knit. After she had acquired the skill, she got a contract to supply sweater (cardigan) to some schools and that marked a turning point in the life of that family. She was able to pay back the loan and their condition of living changed. You see this is better than buying bags of rice and sharing to them. They will eat it and still be hungry.
2. You can adopt a number of the fatherless children and take responsibility for their fees and school supplies. Most of the widows find it difficult to pay their children fees. The children go to school bare footed, wear torn uniforms and can’t afford to buy books and schools bags. According to your ability you can adopt to be paying school fees for them, let’s at least ensure that the future of their children is secured. The school fees ranges from between ten thousand naira (10,000.00) to twenty thousand naira (20,000.00) depending on the school..
3. Ninety (90%) percent of the widows are farmers. You are make funds available for them to cultivate their farms during planting season. Since the land is very fertile and produces high yield, they only need funds for hiring labour, purchasing seedlings and chemicals to make their farms. After the harvest, they sell some and also provide food for their family. Some cultivate yam, cassava, rice groundnut etc. on the average, a widow will need between twenty thousand (20,000.00) to a hundred thousand (N100,000.00) depending on the size of the farm.
4. You can also set aside a revolving loan that can be made available for these widows without interest (i.e interest free loan) so they can use it to facilitate their farming works and make due return at the end of the farming season. It will also be a perfect way of empowering them.
5. During festive period, you can make wrappers, food stuffs, cash etc. available to be given to them so that as families are celebrating they will not be left out.
It is important that you know exactly what you want to do and communicate same to the foundation about where your donations should be used and what it should be used for.
Reaching out to these widows through donations, gifts, and every other form of give-outs is really beautiful, but, above all, we believe that, what sooths and reawakens the long lost touch of love, hope and a sense of place amongst people, in the bruised and batered hearts of these widows is when the actually get to see other people, a people of strange tongue, history and ethnical background, out-pouring upon them so much love, care and concern of which they have sought for carefully with many tears and found none! to them its like "Is this really happening?"
Believe it, its the reason tears roll down those chins of theirs, tears of joy, tears of answered prayers! Its the Greatest Moment Of Healing in their hearts!
ALL IT TAKE TO IGNITE THIS LIFE CHANGING MOMENTS IN THE HEART OF THESE WIDOWS IS "VOLUNTEERISM", THINK ABOUT IT. THINK ABOUT ALL THE WIDOWS OUT THERE WHO HAVE LOST HOPE OF THESE LIFE SUPPORTING VITALITIES!
WE ARE ALL THEY HAVE!
"YOU AND I"